Wi-Fi is available at the Stedelijk Museum, so you can easily download the app right here. If you begin the Tour in the city or want to get started as soon as you’re in the museum, we advise you to install the ARtours app at home first.
The app is currently available for iPhones with iOS 5.0 or higher, optimized for GPS. The app is active in the museum and in the city.
Download ARtours app * Note: The app is currently available in Dutch only
Installing and getting started
1. Download and install the free Stedelijk Museum ARtours app from the AppStore or use this link.
2. Open the app and create a user account with your email address and user name (or log in if you already have an account)
3. See the ‘Quick Guide’ in the app for a short introduction.
4. Tap on the ‘Discover’ button in the top right-hand corner to go to the information menu.
5. Tap on the ‘ARtours’ button in the navigation bar at the bottom of the screen.
6. Select a tour for more information. Read the story and find the site of the tour on the map. Then tap ‘Start’ in the top right-hand corner to download the content and start the tour.
7. When you’ve read the introduction, tap on the ‘Go to map’ or ‘Places’. This is where you’ll find the markers with the various types of content.
8. Tap on a marker to open it and view the content. For outdoor ARtours you need to be within the radius of the marker (you are the blue dot). Activate a point on the map by walking to the actual spot, and tap on the icon to open it. The ARtours in the museum use the floor plan of the museum building.
9. Zoom in by double-tapping the screen or by pinching the screen simply by moving two fingers together or apart. The sites you have visited will show red. Click on the icon to re-open them. Your following destination is shown by a flashing red dot.
10. In ARtours with Augmented Reality content you can switch to ‘Layar view’. This allows you to look through the camera on your phone, and see the ‘augmented reality’ content superimposed over the actual scene. Tap on the ‘Eye’ icon in the top right-hand corner of the map to activate this function.
Actions & Add
11. To see your status, use the ‘actions’ tab on the navigation bar. Depending on the tour, you can check your scores and tasks. You can upload photos and automatically link them to your current location at any point on the tour. The photos are visible to the moderator, and you can share them with friends on Facebook or Twitter.
12. At the end of the tour, you’ll be asked to submit a review and comments. If you have any problems using the app, email us at: SMARapp@stedelijk.nl,. And if you love it, tell all your friends!
The Stedelijk Museum makes every possible effort to assure the completeness and correctness of all information published here. Inaccuracies can, however, occur. Neither the Stedelijk Museum nor those who supplied the information involved are responsible for harm that may arise as a consequence of errors, problems caused by this app or inherent in the distribution of information by Internet, or for technical failures.