18 Jan 2015
In the weekend of January 17 and 18 the first book fair of the new year will take place at the Stedelijk, with a special selection of art books from the exhibition On The Move: Storytelling in Contemporary Photography and Graphic Design. The whole weekend the largest exhibition area in the Stedelijk Museum will be filled with publishers presenting their most recent publications.
- exhibition gallery On the Move
- 10 am - 6 pm
- English and Dutch
- Entrance fee to the Stedelijk Museum
Although the digitalization of culture and society may suggest otherwise, the book continues to be a vital medium for artists to collect and show their work. Though the Internet provides a platform for ignition and sharing, the process of analysing and discussing is better achieved through the physical object of a publication', according to the art collective Werker Magazine (Marc Roig Blesa & Rogier Delfos).
At the Stedelijk’s book fair, the idea of the book as an object lives on with a selection of leading publishers presenting their most important current publications for sale.
The participating publishers include: ABC Artists Books Cooperative|Alauda Publications|de Appel arts centre|Casco – Office for Art, Design and Theory|De Cult Club (ArtKitchen Gallery en Galerie A)|Elisabeth Tonnard en Joachim Schmid|EYEMAZING Editions|Fw:Books |Idea books|International Foundation Manifesta|Johan Deumens Gallery|Kunstverein Amsterdam|Lecturis|Onomatopee|Post Editions|Roma Publications|San Serriffe|Simulacrum|SPBH Editions Self Publish Be Happy|Stedelijk Publicaties|The Eriskay Connection |Uitgeverij de BuitenkantValiz|Walther König|Witte de With Center for Contemporary Art
- 10.00 pm: Book Fair opens
- 12.00 – 12.15 pm: Interview Rob Hornstra. Location: Room 8
- 12.30 – 1.00 pm: Presentation YdocFilmApps and the YdocBookApps. Location: Room 8
- 1.00 – 1.15 pm: Interview Theo Niekus. Location: Room 8
- 2.00 – 2.30 pm: Speed tour Elisabeth Tonnard. Location: Room 11
- 2.00 – 2.30 pm: Olivier van Breugel & Simone Mudde signing at the Walther König booth. Location: Room 10
- 2.30 – 3.00 pm: Interview Johannes Schwartz + speed tour and signing at the Roma Publications booth. Location: Room 8
- 3.30 – 5.30 pm: Lecture On The Move: Image-Text-Print-Screen with professor Jay Bolter and the artists: Olivier van Breugel & Simone Mudde, Thomas Kuijpers and Marc Roig Blesa & Rogier Delfos. Location: Teijin Auditorium
- 6.00 pm: Museum closes
The program takes place in the lower-level gallery in the new wing of the museum.