Critical Theory in the Humanities Resonances of the Work of Judith Butler
5 Apr - 7 Apr 2017
- Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
- Day ticket student € 45,- / day ticket non-student € 60,- / passe-partout student €70,- / passe-partout non-student €70,-*
From April 5-7, 2017, the interdisciplinary Research Institute for the Humanities CLUE+ at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam organizes a three-day international conference on resonances of the work of the critical theorist and philosopher Judith Butler, who shall deliver a keynote address and participate in the conference.
Preceding this program, on Tuesday April 4th a kick-off event will take place at LIMA media art platform, titled THE LIMA COLLECTION: GENDER & PERFORMATIVITY. The evening consists of a screening of artworks from the LIMA collection, in relation to the conference. This event is curated by Sanneke Huisman and Christian Sancto. Please click here for more information.
The conference concludes on Friday, April 7th with a performance of John Paul Raether at the Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam. More information about this performance is available here.
*The conference is almost sold out, but it is still possible to reserve a ticket for the Wednesday. On this day, a.o. Amelia Jones will be speaking.
Download the conference program here.
Confirmed keynote speakers are:
• Judith Butler, Maxine Elliot Professor of Comparative Literature, University of California, Berkeley
• Adriana Cavarero, Professor of Political Philosophy, Università degli Studi di Verona
• Amelia Jones, Robert A. Day Professor of Art and Design, USC Los Angeles
• Achille Mbembe, Research Professor of History and Politics, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg
• Jacqueline Rose, Professor of Humanities, Birkbeck University of London
• Aagje Swinnen, Professor International Humanism and the Art of Living, University of Humanistic Studies, Utrecht
• Iris van der Tuin, Associate Professor Liberal Arts and Sciences, Utrecht University
• Charlotte Witt, Professor of Philosophy and Humanities, University of New Hampshire
More information about the speakers here
PLEASE NOTE: The conference will take place at the Main Building (Hoofdgebouw) of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. The address is: De Boelelaan 1105, 1081 HV Amsterdam, Netherlands