Stedelijk director David Röell acquired this painting in October 1940, at an auction held by Frederik Muller & Co. in Amsterdam. According to the auction catalogue, the work was part of the “Estate L., Amsterdam”. A heritage investigation by the Stedelijk Museum showed that the Jewish Hedwig Lewenstein-Weijermann had inherited the painting in 1930 from her husband Emanuel Albert Lewenstein, who had owned the painting since 1923. It was unclear who exactly had put the work up for auction in 1940, and possible that this had been an involuntary sale. For this reason the municipality of Amsterdam, the Stedelijk Museum and the heirs applied for further investigation and binding advice on the future of the work by the Dutch Restitutions Committee. On 1 November 2018 the Restitutions Committee advised that the work may remain in the Stedelijk collection. According to the Restitutions Committee the most probable situation is that in 1940 the work was auctioned in consultation with Irma Klein and Robert Lewenstein, shortly after the latter had inherited it from his mother. The committee concludes that while the sale of this work cannot be viewed separately from the Nazi regime, it was also a consequence of other factors (including deteriorated financial circumstances that had already affected Klein and Lewenstein before the German invasion). In addition, the Restitution Committee states there are no indications that the museum did not purchase the work in good faith in 1940. The heirs challenged this ruling of the Restitutions Committee before the Dutch court, which rejected their claims on 16 December 2020. The Stedelijk Museum deems it important that the history of this work now has been investigated as thoroughly as possible, and that after years of independent research, the Restitution Committee has been able to arrive at a binding advice. For further information regarding the heritage investigation, see restitutiecommissie.nl/en.