The Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam is the largest museum for modern and contemporary art and design in the Netherlands, with well-known names in the collection and a rich, engaging exhibition programme ranging from crowd-pullers to presentations spotlighting young artists and designers. Almost 125 years young, the Stedelijk Museum has built a great reputation as a platform for world class artists often presented early in their career. The Stedelijk Museum has its roots in Amsterdam, reaches out to national and international audiences and, with 650,000 visitors a year, is the fourth best-visited museum in the Netherlands.
The ambition of the new directorate is to develop the Stedelijk into a museum that is dynamic, specific, participative, accessible and self-critical. The Stedelijk Museum has redoubled its desire to take responsibility in thinking about a shared and tolerant society in which everyone feels at home: Artist and Audience driven.
The Museum has an impressive track record in the field of design; not only through the collection of graphic design, applied art and industrial design, but also through the collection presentations and many exhibitions that are organized around design. Now, more than ever, the Stedelijk’s ambition is to connect with social themes and issues such as sustainability, inclusiveness and digitalization in the field of design. Social design, inclusive design, security design, digital design and identity design are some of the current design concepts that need to be discussed within the Stedelijk Museum.
To realize this ambition, the Stedelijk Museum is looking for a:
Curator design (m/f/x)
24 - 36 hours a week
This function is specifically aimed at the further development of our position in the field of design, working closely with the other disciplines in the museum. The candidate will focus on profiling Design in the broadest sense of the word, within the museum, nationally and internationally, through temporary exhibitions, research, collaborations, co-productions and collection presentations. In addition, the candidate is expected to have experience and affinity with addressing the questions and challenges that arise with regard to a collection.
The successful applicant will report to the director as a member of the Curatorial team.
The job content:
- Involvement in modern and contemporary design from a global perspective;
- Actively integrating this collection into the presentation, research and collection policy of the Stedelijk Museum and developing a vision for presenting, collecting and maintaining contemporary practices in the field of Design;
- Contributing to the artistic program of the museum, developing specific exhibitions, projects and publications;
- Ensuring scholarly access to the collection by collaborating with specialized colleagues from other departments and from other organizations;
- Maintaining contact with national and international parties and proactively developing opportunities for collaborations;
- Maintaining knowledge and developing expertise in the field of Design;
- Acting as a contact person within the museum for specialist (information) requests;
- Able to develop visions from other public formats in addition to exhibitions and collection presentations;
- Active involvement in acquisitions, engaging funds and private donors in close consultation with the Development department;
- Involvement in advocacy and maintaining important museum relationships.
The Stedelijk Museum is looking for a curator with a completed university study and with a track record in the world of Design. We are looking for someone with a strong (and personal) substantive vision and a commitment to new developments in Design. The ideal candidate has a public-centered approach, is curious and inquisitive, and able to work well collaboratively to share ideas, knowledge and experiences.
The candidate must have a demonstrable network that comprises collectors, fellow institutes and researchers inside and outside the Netherlands. Finally, the candidate must speak Dutch or be prepared to learn the language.
Stimulating diversity in the broadest sense (viewpoints opinions, cultures, ages, genders, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, etc.) is fundamental to the Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam. We want our workforce to be representative of all sections of society. This is reflected in our selection procedure.
The successful candidate will initially be offered a one-year employment contract. Depending on education and experience, the salary is between EUR 3,405 and EUR 4,576 gross per month for a full working week (scale 11), excluding holiday and year-end bonus, in accordance with the Museum CLA.
For more information about this position, please contact Ronald van Weegen, deputy director via firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are interested in this position, you can submit your resume and motivation letter until no later than November 15 via the application button at the bottom right of this page. Application letters sent through standard (e-)mail will not be dealt with.
No agencies please.