Exhibition — 11 Nov 2016 until 8 Jan 2017
Exhibition with graphic design by Sandberg and collection highlights acquired by the former Stedelijk director (1945-1963).
With the belief that art should be integrated into daily life, Sandberg introduced an education program and modernized the museum by transforming it into an inviting environment with a library, reading room, a restaurant and an auditorium with a film- and music program. Already in 1938 he whitewashed the interior of the museum and in 1954 he added an extension to the building. The year before he retired he replaced the solid wooden doors of the entrance into huge transparent glass doors. Sandberg constantly aimed to lower the threshold of the museum to make it more appealing and easy to access for everybody.
Under his directorship, the Stedelijk Museum began collecting not only important works by Van Gogh, Cézanne, Picasso, Léger, Mondrian, Moore, Calder and Malevich, but also other art forms including an international collection of design and photography. Most of all Sandberg exhibited artists from all over the world.