From Tuesday June 8, the library of the Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam is open by appointment only, from Tuesday to Thursday 11 am - 4 pm. Please note there is only room for researchers and students who want to use the collection of the library, unfortunately, we can’t accommodate those who just want to sit and work on their own research.
Do you want to browse our books at the library? This is how you can make an appointment:
- Please access the online catalog before booking a visit and let us know which materials you want to use by email
- Book your appointment by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- When your reservation is confirmed you can drop by. Please turn to one of our employees in the entrance hall of the museum. They will guide you to the reading room.
- Please follow all recommendations as to hygiene and routing
- Leave your coat in the cloakroom on the ground floor.
Thank you and we hope to see you soon at the Stedelijk Library.
Regulations and opening hours are subject to change. Please keep on following the library page of the website for the latest info.
Tue- Thu 11 am - 5 pm
The library is situated below the museumshop in the entrance hall. Take the stairs to level -1 on the left site of the shop.
About the Stedelijk Library
The Stedelijk Museum library owns one of the largest collections of publications on the areas of modern and contemporary art, design, photography, time based art, installations and art theory. You can enter the library free of charge. The Stedelijk library is one of the best kept secrets for anyone looking for a quiet place to read or study.
LOCATION AND FACILITIES
A large reading room in the museum’s new wing offers space to dozens of visitors. You can ask the library staff about books and request books and archive material. You’ll generally have the material you asked for within 15 minutes. The room also contains a large number of catalogues and overviews of the works of the most significant artists and art movements, as well as the most recent issues of key art magazines and information about current exhibitions at the museum.
You can consult the library catalogue using the online catalogue in the reading room. The museum’s entire art collection can also be searched on computer in the reading room. Network connections for laptops and Wi-Fi are available in the reading room.
The museum’s archive can be consulted on request. The historical archive up to 1980 is only available in digital form in the Stedelijk Museum library. However, from 1 January 2013 you’ll be able to consult the paper archive up to 1980 at the Amsterdam City Archives (Vijzelstraat 32, Amsterdam).
The library collection contains thousands of documentary films, videos and DVDs. You can watch these in the reading room.
The substantial collection of artists’ books is listed in the online library catalogue. The books are kept in an external repository and can be seen there. At the moment, visits to the depot are not possible due to the current corona situation.
For use of the library a ticket for the museum is not needed, during the opening hours of the library you can go there directly.
- No material may be taken from the library but there are photocopying and scanning facilities ,which you can use to make copies (with the exception of fragile and/or valuable works).
- Photocopying costs: black and white €0.10 per page and color €0.20 per page.
- You can reserve material for a later date or make requests in advance by e-mail or telephone.
The following is not permitted in the reading room:
- Eating or drinking
- Coats and bags (there are lockers on the ground floor for coats and bags)
- The use of mobile phones.