Unfortunately, the museum library is closed at the moment. As soon as this changes, we will inform you on this page.
Browse books? Make an appointment
Do you want to browse our books at the library? This is how you can make an appointment:
- Please access the online catalog before booking a visit and let us know which materials you want to use by email
- Book your appointment by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please follow all recommendations as to hygiene and routing.
Thank you and we hope to see you soon at the Stedelijk Library.
Regulations and opening hours are subject to change. Please keep on following the library page of the website for the latest info.
Tue- Thu 11 am - 4 pm
The library will be closed from Dec 27 until Jan 7, 2021
Search in our:
The library of the Stedelijk is located on level -1, below the museum shop. You can find the stairs to the library on the opposite side of the cloakroom, on the right in the entrance hall. Visitors with a mobile disability can report to the information desk in the hall. One of our employees will then guide you to the library via an alternative route.
About the Stedelijk Library
The Stedelijk Museum library owns one of the largest collections of publications on the areas of modern and contemporary art, design, photography, time based art, installations and art theory. You can enter the library free of charge. The Stedelijk library is one of the best kept secrets for anyone looking for a quiet place to read or study.
You can contact the library staff with all your questions during your planned visit or in advance via email@example.com. During your visit, the requested works will generally be available within fifteen minutes.
No material can be borrowed, but there is the opportunity for copying (and limited scanning). There is free wifi and connections for laptops. You can reserve requested books for a longer period of time.
There are computers in the reading room for consulting the catalog and for accessing the online archive of the Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam (until 1980).
The museum’s archive can be consulted on request. The historical archive up to 1980 is only available in digital form in the Stedelijk Museum library. However, from 1 January 2013 you’ll be able to consult the paper archive up to 1980 at the Amsterdam City Archives (Vijzelstraat 32, Amsterdam).
The library collection contains thousands of documentary films, videos and DVDs. You can watch these in the reading room.
The substantial collection of artists’ books is listed in the online library catalogue. The books are kept in an external repository and can be seen there. At the moment, visits to the depot are not possible due to the current corona situation.
- No material may be taken from the library but there are photocopying and scanning facilities, which you can use to make copies (with the exception of fragile and/or valuable works).
- Photocopying costs: black and white €0.10 per page and color €0.20 per page.
- Eating and/or drinking is not allowed in the reading room. Only a bottle of water is allowed.
- Telephone calls should be made outside the reading room.
- Make sure that other visitors can work in peace.